Monday, January 05, 2009

And then there were 12

12 more Mondays that is. I sure do hope that none of them are as stinking cold as this one was. Working on the truck is hard enough when you are warm. It's pure hell when you aren't. It started out at -32 and got up to a toasty -26 this afternoon with NO wind at all which was a treat I tell ya. I can't imagine what today would have been like if last nights forecast of -48 with the windchill had actually happened.

The only thing that kept me going was the pack of HotHands I found in the storage compartment in the big truck this morning. My toes were SO cold I couldn't move them and every step hurt. A pack of those hand warmers in each of my boots and in no time my toes had thawed out. By mid afternoon my fingers were hurting too so I opened a couple more packages and into my gloves they went.

Aside from the cold - another reason I'm counting down the days.....the little truck broke down at 9am. Ugh! Somehow we managed to get the work done and with only one contract, we have a whole week to fix the truck instead of the usual one day. It's kind of nice. I mean, kinda nice in a 'no pressure to get the truck fixed in a hurry before we need it wednesday' kind of way. Kinda nice in the 'whoo-hoo...only have to work one day a week' kind of way. I'm looking on the bright side of the whole pending unemployment thing here of course. I could totally spin this a whole other way and say Oh no...only 12 more weeks and then what do we do with our lives kind of way but I'm not. Not after working in -31 weather and almost freezing my fingers and toes off and having a truck break down at 9am. Nope. I'm completely looking at the next 12 weeks as a count down to bigger and better....and WARMER things.

No comments: