Tuesday, July 15, 2008

lost and found

The kids were watching the movie Madeline the other day and there is a line from it where the school teacher/nun has a feeling and she says "Something is not right".

I had that feeling today. It was weird. It was almost 3:00 and I was sorting mail when suddenly I got all anxious...... and it wasn't from the stack of bills before me. I felt like something was missing. That I'd lost something or forgot I was supposed to be somewhere. What? What could I have lost or forgotten about?

My Son! I suddenly realized he wasn't here and for a split second I felt a wave of panic.

Kind of silly really. He's not lost. He's not missing. He's away at camp. He left yesterday and it's not like this was the first time I'd thought about him. Believe me - when your built-in-babysitter is suddenly gone for a week you notice. I thought about him a lot yesterday. Wondering if he was having fun, what he was doing, if he was homesick and missed us, but suddenly today I felt like a part of me was missing and I missed him, missed his presence around here. He's only been gone a day and a half but I miss him. Not missing the extra noise he creates. It's amazing how much quieter the house is with only 3 kids in it - any 3. It's not just him...when any one of them isn't here the noise level goes down a notch or 6 or 8. His particular noise isn't missed cuz he tends to stir up the little ones and make them whine but the house is definately lacking his presence and his personality today. Hope he's having fun and I can't wait to hear all about camp when he gets home.



No comments: