Sunday, April 19, 2009

For Sale

A few days ago Al bought a couple For Sale signs to put in the trucks. These signs resulted in a few interesting conversations.



Emily: What are the signs for?

Mom: You kids. We are selling you all.

Emily: Not me! I'm the good one. The smart one. The cute one. The funny one.

Mom: The modest one too......and the biggest sign is for you. You're the one we figure we can get the most money for.

She gave me one of her 'whatever' looks and walked away unconcerned.

Darn. I was hoping to get a couple hours of room cleaning and chores out of them if they believed me even just a little bit.




************





Owen: Dad, what's this big sign for?

Dad: The trucks.

Owen: The little truck right? .....right?

Dad: No. The big sign is for the big truck kiddo.

Owen: MY big truck?

You should have seen his face. I thought he was going to cry.

He took the sign and ran, calling back .....I'm going to hide it and then you can't sell my big truck!

Ouch!



That's going to be a tough day that I'm not looking forward too. Unfortunately it's not up for debate. The trucks have to sell.....and soon. The lease company isn't going to be very happy when I put a stop-payment on their money at the end of the month. Anyone want to buy a truck? Just a truck. The kids aren't really for sale. I've been told I can get into a whole mess of trouble if I put them on ebay.


People have said we shouldn't discuss money or how bad things are infront of the kids but they aren't stupid. They see what's going on. I cry at the drop of a hat these days so it's easier for them to know why then to hide the reality of what's happening. Besides, it's kind of obvious when the businesses that has been run out of their home for their entire lives suddenly stops and their dad goes and gets a new job that something's going on. I'm certainly not about to lie to them about why we picked up a food hamper from the local foodbank last week or why there is no money to get new shoes even though they need them or why there is a good chance they won't have tv next month.....because believe me....there would be no hiding that tidbit of news.


Reality sucks but I'm not about to hide it from my kids and no matter what, they know we are somehow going to come out of this okay.


Somedays I even believe that myself.


~K

No comments: