Thursday, March 26, 2009

The first week of spring has been just LOVELY!

Remember a couple days ago I was reveling in the peace and quiet of being home solo. The kids at school. The Mr. working day-shift.

If I'd only known then what I know now, I'd have enjoyed it way more than I did - if that was at all possible, because I had a great day.

Yesterday was shaping up to be crazy-busy. Get kids on the bus at 8:15. Drive Mr to work for 9. Check on Mom. Home for a bit. School assembly at 12:45. Grocery shopping and home again. Kids home at 4. Kids to dance class before 5. Pick Mr up at work at 5. Pick kids up at dancing at 6. Soccer/baseball registration. Home again, home again jiggity-jig. Exhausting just thinking about it.

And then the phone rang at 7:56 - No Buses. No Classes. "Snow Day!" and all after school activities were cancelled too. A reprieve from the Crazy-Busy.

I ended up driving the Mr to work in the morning, visiting Mom for a bit and then spending a leisurely half hour walking the quiet aisles of the grocery store picking up a few necessities. I was thinking to myself, I should shop at 9am more often because the store is so quiet but now that I think about it, the fact that the roads around town were horribly packed with snow and the highways were covered with icy patches and the visibility was really poor may have had more to do with the emptiness of the store rather than the time of day.

Today is Day 2 of our weather induced holiday. The novelty has worn off and the kids are driving each other me batty.

Actually, the boys are loving it (cartoons and playstation galore) and surprisingly Em isn't all ticked (she loves school and a closed school to her is a fate worse than chores) although if she doesn't stop talking endlessly, I'm going to scream. I don't know how her teacher keeps her quiet in school. Aarica though, is having a hard time with the change in routine and all. She's sentenced to spend time with the people who annoy her the most - us. She's bored so she's picking fights with everyone and being snarky. It's very hard to keep someone who's got a limited interest in anything busy while housebound. The Mr took a drive out to pick up our final pay cheque this afternoon and I'm so happy he agreed to take her with him (like he had a choice...she asked and asked and asked and finally just put her jacket on and got in the van and I think the pleading look on my face may have helped). She needed a break from everyone and everyone needed a break from her.

So while I miss the peace and quiet of a house with everyone at work/school, I'm enjoying the laid back feel of the past 2 days. I'm scared though. If school isn't open tomorrow I've realized that by the time I have an empty house again it will have been 12 straight days of this. Spring Break is next week.

HELP!!!!!


~K

No comments: