Monday, March 09, 2009

When I Win the Lottery


One of the 'free-lance' jobs Al & I have been doing for almost a year now started out as construction clean up of debris around the building site of a new condo development. From there it moved to hauling away the construction garbage from inside the houses and also cleaning up after the trades and doing things like preping the subfloor so the flooring installers could come in and lay the carpet,vinyl and hardwood (take my advice - do not EVER install dark walnut hardwood flooring or cabinetry no matter how pretty it looks. It is evil to clean!) Lately we have been cleaning up the finished or almost finished units before open house events.


We've watched these 4 condo units grow from the ground up and we love them all. The floor plans are all awesome and Al loves the 8 ft ceilings in the basements (he hasn't hit his head on a light fixture yet....and I counted - in each house there are a minimum of 4 teleposts per basement ---- FOUR!)


I am particularly in love with the floor plan of the 3 bedroom show-home unit including the wall colours, cabinetry, flooring and all the staging fixtures. I'm seriously head over heels in love!


I love the kitchen!















The living/dining room!



The master bedroom and bath!



I seriously love everything about it....except cleaning it! Actually, cleaning the one unit isn't so bad. It's having to clean all 4 and having to clean up after the trades (who are messier than my kids in some ways). It took me 10+ hours not including the time it took to haul hot water and Al spent 6 hours cleaning the garages and basements and hauling away all the garbage.


Even with all that work though, I still love them and I want one so bad!

Some day. Some way. We will have one built on our property.


I hope.

The more we think about it the more and more it's what our goal is. The house we currently live in won't live forever - no question about that. How much longer is anybody's guess. These particular 'condo' houses seem to be the best option. They are duplex houses and the one we like has a 3bedroom unit on one side and a 2 bedroom unit on the other. We are fairly certain that Aarica will never live truely independantly but we are hopefull that one day she would be able to live with some supervision in one side of the house while we live in the other - then we would be close by but we would each have our own space. I don't know if this is a realistic goal but for now it's an idea - a hope - a dream. I think it's going to have to involve a lottery ticket or two too so I'd better start buying them.




~K



No comments: