Friday, March 27, 2009

So my loyal readers are requesting something to read this afternoon. Well, it's a little late in the afternoon but here ya go. A 2nd post for today. I'm squeezing this into my very busy afternoon of MAKING HAM. Oh you should smell it. It's devine. Yes SIS .....it's just like Mom makes. Hee hee. (was that too evil) Actually it's not just like mom makes and I'm a little upset. I thought there was a can of pineapple in the pantry and there wasn't so I improvised with a StarFruit juicebox out of bottom of the fridge. It's a little more on the citrus side and doesn't quite have the tang of pineapple juice but it still smells yumm-o! I'd say I'm make cheesie scalloped potatoes too (just to tease you there sitting at your desk) but I don't have any in the house so it'll just be plain ol' mashed potatoes.

And in the morning.....I'm making waffles!

I don't think Donkey from Shrek quite had Chocolate Chip Eggos on his mind when he said that....but it's the closest thing to waffles in this house.

Speaking of tomorrow. Do you have plans for Earth Hour tomorrow night? I hadn't really thought about it much until a day or two ago and I'm not sure we will actually be home to 'participate' at that particular time as some things have recently come up in our schedule but I think at the very least I will turn off the computer while we aren't home (this poor dinosaur is running constantly so I'm sure both my electric bill and the computer will apprecitate the time out) and make a more consious effort to cut our power use - and I'd be lying if I didn't say it was for more economical purposes than environmental.....not that I have anything against the environment. I kinda like it.

Here's a bit of information I pulled off the net this afternoon at http://wwf.ca/earthhour/

Earth Hour is a global WWF climate change initiative. Individuals, businesses, governments and communities are invited to turn out their lights for one hour on Saturday March 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM to show their support for action on climate change.

Here are some ideas for how to spend the hour:
Attend local Earth Hour events - or organize one. Add your event, or get details on events near you at Events.EarthHourCanada.org.
Go outside and look at the stars.
Find a great viewing spot to see your town or city go dark at 8:30 p.m.
Take pictures and post them to the Earth Hour Facebook page.
Go for a lantern walk through a park.
Patronize local restaurants and businesses taking part in Earth Hour.
Gather your family or friends for a candle-lit dinner.
Meet your neighbours at a street or block party.
Have an acoustic music jam.
Talk to your children about how much electricity your family uses. Brainstorm ways to reduce it.

Tell ghost stories.
Listen to the birds, bats or other wildlife.
Play flashlight tag.
Turn your thermostat down by 1 degree. And leave it there.
Play Pictionary with glow-in-the-dark markers.
Change all your light bulbs to energy-efficient versions.
Have a night game of shinny with a glow-in-the-dark puck or ball (wear reflective vests).
Take a walk in the moonlight.
Have a candlelit bath.
Put a glow stick on your dog's collar or leash and go for a walk.
Toast marshmallows over a tea light candle.
Get out your Ouija board.
Have a wine or scotch tasting in the dark.
Get out the sleeping bags and camp out on the living room floor.
Make a list of ways you could reduce your energy consumption every hour of every day.



A couple of those make me laugh. Stick a glow stick on the dog's collar and go for a walk....bwahhhh Ya Fat Dog would so go for THAT idea - NOT and I've been told I'm not allowed to sit in the dark and drink wine by myself anymore but if the writer of this list says I should...who am I to argue.


Well. Gotta go baste a ham.

~K

No comments: